Blueberry Jam Cake Bars
These Blueberry Jam Cake Bars are quite literally a bar version of cake. They are soft, moist and so darn delicious! And the blueberry jam layer in the middle makes them a dessert (or breakfast!) that I wasn’t very willing to share. 🙂
I can’t hold back. I have to tell you the truth – these bars are my new favorite thing. I can’t even. I don’t know how to accurately describe their awesomeness, but I’m going to try.
Imagine a cake compacted to be a little denser (but not too dense!) and turned into a bar. I actually started with my perfect vanilla cupcake recipe and “shrank” it down into a cake bar. If you’ve made those cupcakes then you know how delicious they are. Imagine them in bar form. With blueberries. Covered in cinnamon sugar. OMG.
Now let’s talk a bit about the jam layer. It took me a while to decide what flavor jam to put in the middle. You could totally use another flavor. I must have stood in that aisle just staring at all the flavors for a solid 10 minutes. People walking by had to think I was a bit nuts. I finally decided on blueberry. It ends up making these a little bit like a blueberry muffin, which totally rocks my socks off. I personally think the particular jam/preserves you use are important. I wanted one that was more homemade-isn with little blueberries in it and I found this one. It’s so delicious and perfect in these bars!
The cinnamon sugar topping is the perfect way to finish these bars off. It’s like cake, met blueberry muffin, met snickerdoodle. Again – so darn good! And you could totally drizzle them with a vanilla glaze to make them even more amazing.
I seriously fell in love with these bars at first bite. The joy of the taste of cake, but so portable! I barely allowed the hubs to try them. I ate them for breakfast – and all other times of day. Soft, chewy, moist, blueberry. I still can’t even.
When they are room temperature, they are super soft and almost fall apart and melt right in your mouth. Then I refrigerated them and they firmed up and got even more chewy. I can’t decide which way I liked them better.
If you can’t tell, I’m totally into these Blueberry Jam Cake Bars. They are so easy to make too, so there really is no reason to not try them. SO good!
Blueberry Jam Cake Bars
Yield: 12-16 bars
2 1/4 cups (293g) all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (259g) sugar, divided
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
3/4 cup unsalted butter (168g), melted
1/4 cup (58g) sour cream, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (164g) blueberry jam
3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, 1 cup (207g) of sugar, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a large mixer bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together melted butter and sour cream in another medium sized bowl.
4. Add vanilla extract and egg to the butter mixture and whisk until well combined.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
6. Spread about half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan.
7. Spread the blueberry jam into an even layer on top of the batter.
8. Crumble the remaining batter and drop over the blueberry jam, forming an even layer.
9. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/4 cup (52g) of sugar in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the top of the batter.
10. Bake bars for 20-25 minutes, then remove from oven to cool completely.
11. If you want to add the glaze, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the bars.
12. Cut bars into squares. They can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge. I loved them both ways.
This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like: