Smores Cupcakes

These Smores Cupcakes are the jam! A super moist chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker crust, topped with a super light and airy marshmallow frosting!

If you’ve been keeping up with Smores Week this week, then you’ve already seen my Smores Cheesecake and Smores Ice Cream Bars and you know that smores are all the rage this week! A bunch of us bloggers have gotten together to bring copious amounts of smores-inspired treats. To see what everyone else brought today, check out the bottom of the post. I’m sad to see Smores Week end, but I’m pretty pumped to end it with these cupcakes.

S'mores Cupcakes - super moist chocolate cupcakes with a graham cracker crust, topped with a light marshmallow frosting!

So yesterday I had my 6 month check up/cleaning at the dentist. I know a lot of people hate the dentist, but I actually don’t mind it. I’ve actually fallen asleep while getting my teeth cleaned before. No joke. And I love leaving with that clean feeling mouth. :)

And now our dentist has a tv in the ceilings above the chairs, so I get to watch tv while I lay there. Works for me!

I’ve been fortunate to never have any cavities or anything, so it’s never been a bad experience for me. I never even had to get braces. I don’t know how I got so lucky, but I’ll take it.

And I don’t think I’ve ever been to a dentist appointment without having them tell me how great my teeth are. After my dental hygienist finished cleaning my teeth yesterday she said, “I’m officially jealous of your teeth.” That’s saying a lot coming from someone who looks at teeth all day every day.

I wish I knew what I’d done to get such great teeth. I’d make sure our kids do it one day. Maybe it’s all the milk I had to drink as a kid? I am a little shocked that after all the sugar that makes it’s way into my mouth these days that I don’t have more teeth issues. It must be a genes thing.

I do always get lectured about flossing though. I just can’t seem to get into that habit. I’m not a fan.

However, I am a massive fan of these cupcakes. When one of my coworkers grabbed one, his first comment was one of surprise. “A cupcake with a crust?!” Why yes, why not?

And the crust on these might just be my favorite part. The graham cracker crust has some added sugar in it, and it is just perfect with the super moist chocolate cupcake.

The marshmallow icing is incredible light and fluffy. I considered using marshmallow fluff, but I had a tough time getting it stiff enough. To be fair, it was when our air conditioning was on the fritz, so maybe it was a little warm.

But this icing stood up to the warm air, so it won! And the contrast of the lightness of it, with the denser cupcake and the sweet, lighty crunchy crust is just perfection. You won’t be able to stop eating them.

Then I finished them off with a little chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. Super cute, but totally optional.

Smores Cupcakes

3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water
Marshmallow Frosting
4 eggs whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
chocolate sauce (I used this one)
graham cracker crumbs

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
3. Press about 1 1/2 tbsp of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
4. Bake crusts for 7 minutes then remove and set aside.
5. To make the cupcakes, add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
6. Add egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
8. Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling a little more than half way, and bake at 300 degrees for about 19-21 minutes.
9. When done, remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then remove from cupcake tin and allow to cool.
10. While cupcakes cool, make the icing. Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a metal, heatproof mixer bowl.
11. Place over a saucepan with simmering water.
12. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
13. Using the whisk attachment, beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
14. Ice cupcakes and top with chocolate sauce and graham cracker crumbs, if desired.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

You might also like:

Smores Cheesecake
S'mores Cheesecake

Smores Ice Cream Bars
Smores Ice Cream Bars - graham cracker crust, toasted marshmallow chocolate ice cream, topped with toasted marshmallows!

S’mores Chocolate Cake
Smores Chocolate cake

S’mores Pizza
Smores Pizza - chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows on a pie crust!

S’mores Chocolate Pie
Smores Chocolate Pie

Check out the other smores recipes:

1. You have hit it out of the park this week with all these recipes! And ending on these is fabulous! Love crust on a cupcake!
    Mir recently posted…Nectarine Lime CrumbleMy Profile

2. Just WOW! These are the most gorgeous and decadent smores cupcakes that I have ever seen! I want them all in my kitchen now! Nailed it! Pinned

I went to the dentist yesterday too though I don’t seem to like it as much as you! lol! I do love that squeaky clean feeling!
    Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking recently posted…Toasted Marshmallow Golden Graham Smores BarsMy Profile

3. Oh my heck! Prettiest S’mores cupcakes ever! How did you get them so perfect Lindsay?! I love that the frosting is a meringue – sounds awesome! Pinned :)
    Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron recently posted…Oatmeal Cookie S’mores Gooey BarsMy Profile

4. Lindsay, teach me your cake and cupcakes secrets, you are amazing friend!! I can’t pipe frosting to save my life!
    Beth @ The First Year recently posted…Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter Mousse Oreo StacksMy Profile

5. Absolutely gorgeous! And a cupcake with a crust is so fun. Although you say the chocolate drizzle and topping is optional…no way! They look stellar with that extra touch of fabulousness!!!!
    Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted…Oreo Banana Cream Pie PizzaMy Profile

6. holy YUM! your recipes this week were out of this world, and these look like the best yet.
    Heather @ French Press recently posted…smore stuffed french toastMy Profile

7. Hubba hubba. This cupcakes are calling my name!
    Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted…Bourbon Bacon S’mores CookiesMy Profile

8. Holy Moly. I can’t handle all the deliciousness.
    Des @ Life’s Ambrosia recently posted…Grilled Shrimp Taco SaladMy Profile

9. these are stunning! love that big mound of fluffy frosting!!
    Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake PieMy Profile

10. OMG..I believe I just licked my laptop screen. These look amazing. I’m so glad I see a variety of smores recipes, YUM!

11. Loooving everything about these – so into s’mores right now!! Pinned!
    Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted…Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake PieMy Profile

12. Awesome! Question about the chocolate fudge topping that you drizzled…..can I do that after I frost the cupcakes but about 12 hours BEFORE I need to serve them or will the chocolate run all over?
    Thanks for any info.

• says:

You can do it right after you frost the cupcakes or before serving. It shouldn’t run everywhere – it’s fairly thick.

13. Looks amazing! Looking forward to trying these. Question: will the marshmallow frosting be ok from one day to the next covered in a cupcake caddy? Or should I refridgerate them until ready to eat?

Thank you!

• says:

I kept them unrefrigerated in a cupcake carrier for a couple days. I don’t think they lasted any longer than that. :) It is a delicate icing though, so if it’s warm out, refrigerating them wouldn’t hurt them.

14. I plan to make these for this weekend for a group camping trip. I assume they should be refrigerated if not eaten in a day or so?

• says:

They might be tough to take camping – the icing is pretty delicate. I didn’t refrigerate them, but they could be.

15. These look absolutely delicious, and I would LOVE to try this for a party I’m having soon.
    Quick question: Do you pour the cupcake batter into the liner with the crust and bake it again?

16. These look so good! I’m going to make them for a labor day party this weekend. Do you think the frosting would hold up to a quick blast from a creme brulee torch to toast it?

• says:

Hmm, I don’t know. It’s definitely a delicate frosting. You could refrigerate them for a bit to firm up the icing and then try it.

17. gotta try your s’mores (cupcakes, cakes, pies) recipes… they look so good!
    Bona recently posted…Chocolate Cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Topped with Colorful SprinklesMy Profile

18. I made these for a cupcake exchange at work today; they were very pretty! I accidentally used more cocoa than the recipe called for, and I think I will repeat that next time! I used 1/3c + 1/4c, and they were very rich and chocolatey. The only problem I had was that the crumb mixture would have made many more cupcakes if I had used 1 1/2 T per cupcake, so I divided it evenly among 12. Then I had too much batter! I should have just made more cupcakes (at least 15). Also, my icing was just slightly too soft, so it wasn’t as talk as yours. Did you keep it over the simmering water while you beat it? I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the great recipe-I will make them again, for sure!

• says:

I’m so glad they were a hit Meg! My icing was definitely somewhat soft too – it’s super light. I didn’t keep it simmering while I beat it (step 13). I wonder if adding some powdered sugar would help? I might try it myself. :)

19. Hi! I made the cupcakes last night and am waiting to make the frosting later today. Does the frosting have marshmallow fluff in it? It was listed in the ingredients on the “pin it” page on pinterest so I just wanted to make sure! Can’t wait to try them!! :)

• says:

I’m not sure why it was listed on pinterest, but there isn’t any fluff used. I hope you like them!

20. I’m literally dying looking at this recipe. SO BEAUTIFUL.

21. What tip did you use?

22. I made the cupcakes yesterday for a small Halloween party. So good. Instead of the chocolate and graham crumbs on top, I toasted them with a brûlée torch and added sprinkles for my toddler. Everyone loved them and they were so pretty. The chocolate cake was probably the moistest cake I’ve ever eaten. Even professional cakes. Thank you so much! I posted a photo on my

• says:

Awesome! They look great! I’m so glad you enjoyed them! I totally need one of the torches – it’s on my list!

23. Loving your recipe, just have one quick question did you use salted or unsalted butter?? Can’t wait to try it!

24. Ahh! Tried this recipe and they turned out tasty but so dense. Followed the recipe very closely so im not sure what happened? Also a lot of prep work, so sad they didn’t taste as good as they look!

• says:

Hmm, dense isn’t usually how I’d describe these cupcakes, so I’m not sure. It’s so hard to say without being there, I’m sorry. One thing that might be easy to miss is the lower baking temperature? I’m glad they still tasted great though!

25. Very moist i love it!

26. i love your recipe but I was wondering If I could use another chocolate cupcake recipe or does it have to be yours,it’s just that my family love the recipe we already have so can I just use that one

• says:

If you have a cupcake you like, I’m sure they’d be great with this icing and the graham cracker crust.

27. Delicious! Made these for my son’s birthday party and they were a hit. Sadly I couldn’t manage to get the marshmallow frosting to work, so used a buttercream. Still delicious. Thanks for sharing!

28. Just found this recipe yesterday, so my grandson and I baked a batch. This is one of the most original s’mores recipes I’ve found, and delicious! Thanks!

29. I just tried making these, and I am a beginner when it comes to baking, but it just didn’t go right. The cake was just fine, but the butter from the crust leaked through the wrapper and made the whole thing stick to the wrapper so it tore apart when I tried to unwrap it. The marshmallow also never thickened, possibly because I had it on the simmer while beating (should’ve put to take it off in the directions) and tried re-beating them off of it after sifting through the comments. And 1 1/2 T of crust per cupcake is too much, made the crust really thick and ran out of crust before I ran out of batter.

30. Brittany says:

I just made these as well. The cake and icing were great but I also had a problem with crust I am assuming. They were super greasy, the cupcake crust the cupcake paper and the cupcake tin

31. Hi!
    I love how your cupcake turned out! I’ve tried doing it last night but my whole batter turned out watery ): this is especially so after I add in the boiling water. Could you please advise why is this so? Because when the batter is watery when I pour it over the crust it totally seeped through and my cupcake failed
    I would really love to learn more from you!

• says:

The batter is a very thin batter, so that sounds like it was correct. I haven’t heard of anyone having that problem though. Try to make sure the crust in pressed firmly again the cupcake liner and spoon the batter in carefully so that it doesn’t slosh around and create a gap between the crust and liner. Maybe that will help.

32. Just made these yesterday for a party, and they were a big hit! This is not a quick toss together recipe but it’s a showstopper. I ended up with about double the amount of graham cracker crust I really needed but I put the extra in the freezer for the next time I make these. The cake is chocolately and moist, and I really liked the marshmallow top. I made 18 cupcakes out of this recipe, had a little of the cupcake batter left over. I am keeping these in the fridge because it’s 95 here in LA, and I didn’t want the frosting to melt! Absolutely delicious, thank you!

33. Love the recipe and will try to do it for the first time today. A stupid question : how do you do the chocolate sauce?
    Thanks a lot.

• says:

I just drizzled it across each cupcake with a spoon. It can help to place them on a cooling rack or something, so that the chocolate that doesn’t end up on the cupcakes falls away, but that’s it.

34. just saw these on a round up post another blogger did for smores day! they look soooooo good!
    Lexi Michelle recently posted…15 tips for tailgatingMy Profile

35. Amelia Hatch says:

These cupcakes turned out great! They were a huge hit

36. Why do you have to use boiling water? Won’t that cook the egg and curdle the milk?

• says:

It helps warm up the batter. It does not cook the egg or curdle the milk. The batter should already be well combined and fairly thin before the water is added.

1. […] S’mores Cupcakes at Life, Love, and Sugar […]

2. […] you like a S’mores Cupcake (pictured above)? I know that I would! I love how Life, Love & Sugar spread on the frosting […]

3. […] 11 – S’mores Cupcakes | Life, Love and Sugar […]