Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These super easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a classic Thanksgiving side dish that everyone will reach for! Made with just 5 ingredients, this is the best roasted sweet potato recipe out there. Perfectly seasoned with cinnamon, brown sugar and salt, they have an irresistible combo of salty and sweet!
An Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
This cozy side dish cooks in 20-30 minutes with minimal effort. It’s a healthy quick-fix recipe for the whole family to enjoy. The potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and delicious all over! My 2 1/2 year old twin boys love them!
All you have to do is peel and cut your potatoes, add your seasonings and throw them in the oven. These sweet potatoes are seasoned with cinnamon and brown sugar, but you can use honey instead if you’d prefer. These simple baked sweet potatoes are hard to mess up!
You don’t need anything fancy for this recipe. These roasted sweet potatoes are wonderfully easy to make with a few kitchen staples.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel your potatoes.
- Olive Oil
- Light Brown Sugar: Feel free to substitute the brown sugar with fresh honey, if desired.
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Prepare & Cut Sweet Potatoes
Don’t forget to peel the skin off of your potatoes before you cut them. This way, they’ll really be able to soak up all the seasonings.
Once your potatoes are peeled, cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. You can do this by cutting 1/2 inch slices from the potatoes and then cutting each slice into about 9 pieces.
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
You won’t believe how quickly and easily these roasted potatoes come together. Here’s the secret formula for the best baked sweet potatoes ever:
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Season Potatoes: Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, brown sugar or honey, cinnamon and salt.
- Bake: Spread the sweet potatoes evenly onto a baking sheet (I like to line mine with aluminum foil for less mess) and bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until they’re fork tender. Flip them every 10 minutes or so to get more even browning.
- Let Cool Slightly: Remove your potatoes from the oven and serve them warm.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
The bake time will vary a bit based on how largely you cut the sweet potatoes. Half inch cubes typically take 20-25 minutes to roast. Be sure to flip your potatoes every 10 minutes and start checking them for doneness at the 20 minute mark. If they aren’t fork tender, add another 5 or 10 minutes to the cook time and check them again.
Tips for Success
- Use the Right Sweet Potatoes: There are many different kinds of sweet potatoes, but I recommend using orange or red ones for this recipe. They have a creamier texture than other sweet potatoes, which makes them perfect for roasting. Just be sure to select potatoes that are nice and firm.
- Coat Evenly with Oil: It’s important that your potatoes are well coated with olive oil so the seasonings stick. Don’t be afraid to use your hands to toss them!
- Don’t Crowd Your Pan: Give each potato a little room to breathe on the baking pan. This will help them roast better. I recommend using a large pan to make this easier.
- Serve Warm: This side dish is definitely best served warm. But before you enjoy your roasted sweet potatoes, let them rest for at least a few minutes so you don’t burn your mouth.
- Make Them Savory: You can switch up the seasonings to make your potatoes savory or even spicy. Try using garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder or cayenne pepper!
- Serve with Chicken: These sweet potatoes go great with any chicken recipe..
- Serve with Turkey: Whether or not it’s Thanksgiving, these potatoes make an amazing side dish for roasted turkey!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for about 4 days. To reheat your roasted sweet potatoes, warm them up in the microwave or in the oven.
More Great Side Dishes
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
Honey Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Cranberries
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Classic Green Bean Casserole
Three Potato Salad
Chunky Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Classic Homemade Stuffing
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These super easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a sweet and salty side dish that everyone will reach for! Made with just 5 ingredients, this is the best roasted sweet potato recipe out there.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds (3-4 potatoes) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1–2 tbsp light brown sugar or honey
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, brown sugar or honey, cinnamon and salt.
- Spread sweet potatoes evenly onto a baking sheet (I like to line mine with aluminum foil) and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until fork tender. Flip every 10 minutes or so to get more even browning. Keep in mind that time may vary a bit based on how largely your sweet potatoes are cut.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and serve warm.
Keywords: oven roasted sweet potatoes recipe, crispy roasted sweet potatoes, how to roast sweet potatoes, how to cook sweet potatoes, how to cook sweet potatoes in oven