Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
These Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are soft, chewy Christmas chocolate cookies topped with peppermint Hershey kisses – one of my favorite little holiday candies! They are delicious and will make you the hit of your holiday cookie exchange!
There are few things that I’ve been loving more than peppermint for the holidays. When I was pregnant last year, all of sudden I craved all things peppermint and that hasn’t really gone away. I’m still totally in love with peppermint flavored things for Christmas!
So when I decided to make a chocolate thumbprint cookie, I knew they needed to be topped with the candy cane Hershey kisses. I think of all the little peppermint candies out there, those might be my fave. Such great flavor and I love the little crunchy things in them. So good!
Naturally when you combine a delicious chocolate cookie with a delicious peppermint kiss, you’ve got a fabulous cookie on your hands that’s totally worthy of your cookie tray!
How to make Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
To get started making these little drops of Christmas cookie heaven, you’ll want to cream the butter and sugar together until it’s lighter in color and fluffy in texture. I used both regular and brown sugar in these cookies. I often find that brown sugar offers a deeper flavor and more moisture and they definitely add to these chocolate thumbprint cookies.
Next up you’ll add your egg and vanilla extract, then the dry ingredients. When the cookie dough is ready to go, roll it into large tablespoon sized balls, then roll the balls in a little sugar. After placing the ball onto a cookie sheet, press a little indent into the center of the cookie – a “thumbprint”. It will fill back in a good bit when baking, but it’ll give you a spot to add your hershey kiss later.
The cookies bake for just 6-7 minutes and once they are done, you can add your peppermint kiss.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies with Hershey Kisses
The final Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are not only pretty, but delicious! So wonderfully soft to bite into, with the crunch of the hershey kisses. I love the chocolate and peppermint flavor combination – just perfect!
You might also like:
Peppermint Cheesecake Brownie Trifle
Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
Peppermint Chip Layer Cake
Peppermint Espresso Brownie Cheesecake
Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti
Peppermint Chocolate Pancakes
Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are soft, chewy Christmas chocolate cookies topped with peppermint Hershey kisses. Perfect for cookie exchanges!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 26-28 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 10 tbsp (140g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (112g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar, plus 3 tbsp for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (57g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 26–28 Candy Cane Hershey’s Kisses
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugars (minus the 3 tablespoons of sugar for rolling) together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and thick.
6. Roll into balls of cookie dough about one heaping tablespoons in size.
7. Put the 3 tablespoons of sugar into a small bowl and roll each ball of cookie dough in it, coating the ball fully.
8. Place the cookie dough balls on the lined cookie sheet and use a wooden spoon or a small measuring spoon to press an indention into the cookie.
9. Bake the cookies for 6-7 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies from oven and add an unwrapped hershey kiss to the top of each one. Allow cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes, the remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
The cookie dough can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Keywords: peppermint chocolate thumbprint cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookies, christmas cookies, cookie exchange recipe, peppermint cookies, chocolate cookies