Sausage Tortellini Alfredo
This Sausage Tortellini Alfredo is pure comfort food! Alfredo flavored with sausage and mixed together with tortellini – it’s full of flavor and a favorite meal of ours!
The hubs is a big fan of a few things when it comes to meals, but one of them is pasta. He’s a pretty good eater and pasta is one of those meals that will be sure to fill him up. Plus, it makes great leftovers for him to take to work and that’s a big bonus.
This particular pasta is one we made a fair amount during my pregnancy. It’s pretty easy to put together and I love the sausage. Sausage was a meat that I couldn’t really get enough of and there’s lots of sausage flavor in this meal.
To get started, you’ll cook the sausage. I like to use brats and slice it. Definitely the best form of sausage for this pasta. Cook the brats right in your pan on the stove. Once cooked, remove from the pan and slice. Leave those good juices and drippings behind in the pan and for making the sauce. You could drain off a bit of the juices if you wanted, but don’t lose that flavor! All the flavor from cooking the sausage goes into the sauce and gives it the BEST taste! Love it!
The sauce is a fairly simple alfredo sauce. A little butter, garlic and red pepper gives it some flavor, flour helps thicken it and then of course there’s the milk and cream. Once everything is combined and a little thickened, there’s two kinds of cheese added – cream cheese and parmesan. Delicious!
While making the sauce, the tortellini can be cooking and then added to the sauce when ready. The final pasta is seriously a hearty meal that’s full of flavor! We really are big fans. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Sausage Tortellini Alfredo
Yield: 4 servings
1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
1lb 3oz package brats (I used these)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In large pot of boiling water, cook the tortellini according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, cook the brats until cooked through. Remove from pan, slice and set aside.
3. Leave the juices from cooking the sausage in the pan, then add the butter and allow it to melt.
4. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring regularly, for about 1 minute.
5. Add the flour and whisk until lightly browned, about one minute.
6. Gradually add the milk and heavy whipping cream, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Stir in the cheeses until melted. If you find the sauce is a little thick, you can always add a touch more milk.
8. Stir in the sausage and pasta and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Alfredo sauce modified from Damn Delicious.