This Triple Lemon Cake recipe is easy and so, so good. A fluffy, sweet and perfectly tangy lemon cake topped with homemade buttercream frosting.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1–2 lemons)
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp butter (I used unsalted)
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 12 cups (3 lbs) powdered sugar
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1–2 tsp water – plus more to the consistency you want
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs, oil and lemon juice. Beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees in two 8-inch pans for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Combine all ingredients in a double boiler (or in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water, like I did).
- Heat while stirring constantly with a whisk.
- It is done when it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. You will be able to tell it has thickened, but I wouldn’t say that it’s “thick.”
- Refrigerate until cool and thick.
- Beat butter and shortening together until smooth.
- Add 6 cups of powdered sugar, one at a time, beating to combine.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and combine.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Add water to get the consistency you want, starting with 1/2 tsp, beat to combine.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Divide the cake into four layers by slicing each cake in half.
- Fill two layers with lemon buttercream and the other two with lemon curd.
- Frost the outside of the cake.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 1044
- Sugar: 110.8 g
- Sodium: 224.1 mg
- Fat: 58.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 128.3 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 156.1 mg
Keywords: lemon curd cake, lemon cake with lemon curd, triple lemon cake