These soft Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting are a classic feel-good dessert made easy! The cupcakes are moist and fluffy and the chocolate frosting is rich and creamy.
For the Yellow Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup(112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp (445g) powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp (44g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4–5 tbsp water or milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a large bowl, then separate about 1/4 cup of the mixture into another bowl or measuring cup. About 3/4 cup should remain in the other bowl. Set both aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on the lowest speed, add the butter about a tablespoon at a time, allowing it to incorporate before adding the next tablespoon. As you add more butter, the mixture will start to clump together a bit and should end up resembling wet sand.
- Add the larger of the reserved egg mixture (about 3/4 cup) to the dry ingredients/butter mixture. Stir on the lowest speed until it’s incorporated, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Increase the speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, about 45 seconds to a minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the remaining egg mixture in a slow stream until incorporated.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, then turn the speed back up and mix until well combined, about 10-15 seconds.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When cupcakes are cool, make the frosting. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Carefully pour in about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and 2-3 tablespoons of water or milk and the salt to the frosting and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add additional milk or water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Makes 12-14 cupcakes.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 462
- Sugar: 39.4 g
- Sodium: 119.2 mg
- Fat: 26.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.6 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 73.1 mg
Keywords: yellow cupcake recipe, homemade cupcakes, chocolate frosting recipe, how to make chocolate frosting, best cupcake recipes, best vanilla cupcake recipe, easy cupcake recipe