This Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is delicious and perfect for spring and summer! The vanilla cake is so soft and light, and the strawberry ice cream is creamy and full of fresh strawberry flavor!
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
STRAWBERRY PIE FILLING
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp strawberry extract
- 1/2 cup homemade strawberry pie filling, recipe above
- 8 oz Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
- 2–4 drops red food color
- strawberry slices, for edge
- 4 oz of Cool Whip
- strawberry slices
MAKE THE CAKE LAYERS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 8 inch cake pans (preferably springform pans, see above) and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add butter, egg whites, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
5. Split batter evenly between the two cake pans.
6. Bake 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a just a few crumbs.
7. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
8. Once cooled, level the cake by removing the dome from the top of the cake using a large serrated knife.
ONCE CAKE HAS COOLED, MAKE THE STRAWBERRY PIE FILLING AND ICE CREAM:
1. Add water to strawberry puree.
2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in strawberry puree.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
5. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
6. Once pie filling has cooled, mix cream cheese, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, strawberry extract and pie filling together until well combined.
7. Fold in the Cool Whip and red food color.
ASSEMBLING IT ALL:
1. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will probably be a little taller than your pan. Put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan. If not using a springform pan, you can put some plastic wrap in the bottom of the pan and up the sides and use it to lift the cake out of the pan when it’s done.
NOTE: You should be using the same 8-inch pan you used for the cake. Not all 8-inch pans are exactly the same size. Your cake needs to fit in this pan.
2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
3. Place thinly slice strawberries around the outer edge of the cake. They should be standing up, leaning against the sides of the cake pan, in line the out edge of the bottom cake layer.
4. Spoon the ice cream on top of the cake and spread into an even layer, keeping the strawberries in place.
5. Top ice cream with the second layer of cake.
6. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 6-8 hours.
7. When frozen, remove from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides. OR lift cake out of pan using clear wrap and remove parchment paper from side. Place cake on cake plate.
8. Top cake with additional Cool Whip and sliced strawberries. To make the flower pattern shown in the pictures, start by creating the outer circle of strawberries, then work your way into the center one circle at a time, with each one overlapping the previous one a bit.
9. Freeze until ready to serve. Best after 3-5 days.
- You’ll need one full 16 oz package of strawberries. You could need a second package, depending on the number of strawberries and sizes. If you want to make sure you have nice looking strawberries for the sides and top, I’d recommend a second package so that you can pick and choose the nicest ones.
- An 8-inch springform pan is best for this recipe so that you can easily remove the cake once it’s been assembled. If you do not have a springform pan, line your pan with clear wrap before adding your parchment paper and cake board. You can use the clear warp to lift your cake out of the pan once it’s assembled and frozen.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 39.9 g
- Sodium: 182.8 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.2 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 13.8 mg
Keywords: strawberry dessert recipe, strawberry dessert, strawberry ice cream cake, strawberry cake recipe, strawberry cake filling, homemade strawberry cake, strawberry cake from scratch, easy strawberry cake, strawberry ice cream recipe, homemade strawberry ice cream