You have to try these supremely Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies. They’re full of cozy molasses flavor and they’re great for making ahead of time!
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tbsp (309g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (224g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the molasses and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg and egg yolks one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is well combined. The dough will be sticky. Do not over mix.
- Cover and refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 2-3 hours.
- Let the cookie dough come closer to room temperature so that it’s still chilled, but not hard and cold.
- Create tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then roll each ball in the additional sugar to coat. Set the balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, then let cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling. They will fall a bit as they cool. Do not overbake them, or they will end up more cakey.
Makes 35-40 cookies.
Keywords: molasses cookies, molasses cookies recipe, ginger molasses cookies, soft molasses cookies, chewy molasses cookies, best easy cookie recipes, easy christmas cookie recipes