1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add egg, vanilla and root beer extract and mix until well combined.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Dough will be thick.
5. Grease a mini muffin tin.
6. Make balls of about 2 large tsp in size and press into the bottom of each mini muffin cup. Press the center down just a bit to make an indention. You want each cup to only be about 3/4 full.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
8. Remove cookies from oven (the centers may look a little undone, but they will cook more as they sit).
9. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes in the muffin tin.
10. Remove cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
TO MAKE THE WHIPPED TOPPING:
1. Freeze metal bowl and whisk for 15-20 minutes to get them good and cold.
2. Remove bowl from freezer and add whipping cream.
3. Whip on medium speed for a few minutes. Cream will initially bubble a little bit, then start to thicken.
4. As the cream starts to thicken, add the vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) and powdered sugar.
5. Whip until stiff peaks form, for a total whipping time of about 5-7 minutes.