This Raspberry Dream Cake has layers of tender, moist vanilla cake and fresh raspberry filling all covered in cream cheese frosting! It’s a wonderfully simple, yet delicious cake!
Vanilla Cake Layers
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (320g) raspberries
- 4 tbsp (60ml) water
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 3 tbsp + 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (172g) butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch or two of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper in the bottom and baking spray on the sides.
2. Combine the milk, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl, then separate about 3/4 cup of the mixture into another bowl or measuring cup. About 1 1/4 cups should remain in the other bowl. Set both aside.
3. In a large mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. With the mixer on the lowest speed, add the butter about a tablespoon at a time, allowing it to incorporate before adding the next tablespoon. As you add more butter, the mixture will start to clump together a bit a should end up resembling wet sand.
5. Add the larger of the reserved egg mixture (about 1 1/4 cups) to the dry ingredients/butter mixture. Stir on the lowest speed until it’s incorporated, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
6. Increase the speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, about 45 seconds to a minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
7. Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the remaining egg mixture in a slow stream until incorporated.
8. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then turn speed back up and mix until well combined, about 10-15 seconds.
9. Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. The cakes will pull away from the sides of the pan a little as they cool.
11. To make the raspberry filling, add the raspberries and water to a food processor and puree until smooth. If you’d like, you can strain the puree to remove the seeds.
12. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in the raspberry puree.
13. Cook over medium heat, stirring consistently until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 8-10 minutes.
14. Allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Refrigerate and allow to cool completely.
15. When ready to build the cake, make the frosting. Add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
16. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
17. Add the vanilla extract and salt mix until well combined.
18. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
19. To put the cake together, use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat. Refer to my tutorial, if needed.
20. Place the first cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake round.
21. Pipe a dam of frosting around the outside of the cake. Refer to my tutorial, if needed. Spread about 1/2 of the filling evenly on top of the cake.
22. Place the second cake on top and add another dam of frosting and the remaining raspberry filling.
23. Top the cake with the final cake layer and frost with the remaining frosting. Refer to my tutorial, if needed.
24. If desired, use a 9 inch offset spatula to create a design in the sides of the cake. Pipe shells around the top edge of the cake. I used Ateco tip 847. Finish off the cake with some fresh raspberries.
25. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Cake is best when allowed to sit out for an hour or two before serving so that it comes a little closer to room temperature. Cake is best when stored well covered for 3-4 days.
Keywords: raspberry cake, vanilla cake recipe, raspberry cake filling, vanilla cake with raspberry filling