This easy Pumpkin Cake Roll is made with tender pumpkin cake and a heavenly cream cheese filling. Plus my mess-free method for making this roll is super simple!
Pumpkin Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup (98g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (155g) pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (28g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (173g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15×10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper sticks up at least an inch above the sides of the pan on all sides. You’ll use the parchment paper later to lift the cake out of the pan and roll it up.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Whisk to combine, then set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract together until well combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together just until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
6. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and immediately lift the cake out of the pan using the parchment paper and place on the counter.
8. While the cake is hot, use the parchment paper the cake was baked in and start at the shorter end of the cake to slowly roll the cake up. Set the cake aside to cool completely.
9. When the cake has cooled and is ready to be filled, make the filling. Add the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and mix until well combined and smooth.
10. Unroll the cake roll very carefully, looking out for areas where it may be sticking to release it.
11. Spread the filling evenly onto the unrolled cake, then roll it back up without the parchment paper.
12. Wrap it up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour to firm up.
13. When ready to serve, dust the top of the cake roll with powdered sugar. Cut into slices.
14. Cake roll is best when served chilled and stored well covered in the fridge. Best if eaten with 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 49.3 g
- Sodium: 293.3 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.3 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 106 mg
Keywords: pumpkin cake roll, pumpkin roll, thanksgiving dessert, how to make a pumpkin roll cake, best pumpkin roll cake, easy pumpkin roll cake