Preheat oven to 300 degrees
1. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine.
2. Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients.
3. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture.
4. Mix at medium speed.
5. Pour into an 8-inch pan and bake about 50-55 minutes or until done.
You can also make this cake without cooking down the strawberries or using frozen strawberries. For those instructions, look at the original recipe
1. Toss hulled and slice strawberries with sugar (if using) and set aside at room temperature for an hour or two, until nice and juicy.
2. Put strawberries and water in a small sauce pan and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until the strawberries are very soft.
3. Pour strawberry mix into a fine strainer over a bowl. With a rubber spatula, press the strawberries through the strainer until you have all the juice. Discard the pulp.
4. Pour juice back into the saucepan and simmer to reduce liquid down to 1/2 cup.
5. Combine strawberry juice, milk, eggs and vanilla in a small bowl and mix well.
6. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
7. Add butter to dry mixture and mix until combined into moist crumbs.
8. Add wet ingredients and mix until full combined.
9. Add food coloring, if desired. To get my shade of pink, I used about 15 drops.
10. Pour into an 8-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, or until done.
1. Beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
2. Slowly add half the powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
3. Mix in the vanilla extract and 3 tbsp water.
4. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency.
1. Level both cakes so that they are flat on top and bottom.
2. Start with chocolate cake on the bottom and spread about 1/4 of the icing onto it.
3. Place the strawberry cake on top of the icing.
4. Using an offset spatula, fill in any gaps in the icing around the center.
5. Ice the outside of the cake with the remaining icing.
Keywords: neapolitan cake, the best chocolate cake recipe, moist chocolate cake recipe, homemade chocolate cake recipe, strawberry cake recipe, strawberry cake recipe from scratch, strawberry chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream recipe, vanilla buttercream