Filled with fruit jam, these Linzer cookies are the perfect holiday gift. Irresistibly crumbly and buttery, they’re a real treat.
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (128g) almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (138g) sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Jam, any flavor, for filling
- Combine the all-purpose flour, almond flour and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, egg and lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is just well combined. Do not over mix.
- Shape the dough into a disk about 1-inch thick and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about an hour or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the cookie dough between two pieces of parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thickness. You could also use a floured surface, but the parchment paper is far less messy and won’t dry out your cookies.
- Use your cookie cutters to cut out your shapes. You’ll want half of the them to be solid (without cutouts in the middle) and half to have the cutout designs on them. The cookie dough softens really quickly and then can be tough to cut and transfer. I found it easiest to put the rolled out cookie dough into the freezer for about 5 minutes to firm it up, then quickly cut the cookies. Rolling it out on parchment paper makes transferring the cookie dough to the freezer quite easy. Re-roll the remaining cookie dough and repeat the process until you’ve used all of the cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until just before the cookies turn golden around the edges. The time may vary depending on the size of your cookie cutters and how thick the cookies are, so keep an eye on them.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To assemble the cookies, dust the cookies with the cutouts with powdered sugar. Spread some jam on each of the solid cookies and place a cookie with a cutout on top to form the sandwich.
- Serving Size: 25
Keywords: linzer tart, linzer tart cookies, classic Christmas cookies