Learn to make the perfect all-butter pie crust with this recipe! The simple method produces a flaky pie crust and can be done with a food processor or by hand! You’ll never need another pie crust recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (224g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4–1/2 cup ice water
- Add 1 1/2 cups (195g) flour and salt to a large food processor and pulse together 2 to 3 times.
- Scatter the cubed butter over the flour and process until a crumbly dough forms, about 15 seconds. The flour should all be coated – none of the flour should be dry.
- Add the remaining cup of flour and pulse a few times until everything is evenly distributed. The doughy pieces should break up and it should look sandy. There shouldn’t be a bunch of big pieces remaining. A few are fine, but it should be mostly evenly distributed.
- Move the mixture to a medium mixing bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the ice water. Start with 4 tablespoons and add from there. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold everything together. The crumbs should begin to form larger clusters. If you pinch some of the dough and it holds together nicely, it’s ready. If the dough falls apart, add 1-2 more tablespoons of water and continue to press until dough comes together.
- Pour the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and work just enough for it to come together and form a ball. Cut the ball in half and shape each into a disc.
- Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 2 days.
- When ready to make the crust, place the pie crust onto a piece of parchment paper. You can add a touch of flour if you like, but you don’t have to. Cover the crust with another piece of parchment paper and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Peel one piece of the parchment paper off and use the other piece of parchment to lift the pie crust and drape it over the pie plate. Carefully peel off the second piece of parchment paper, then shape your pie crust and bake as instructed for your pie.
- Blind Bake: If you want to blind bake your crust, add pie weights and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until just starting to brown for a partial bake. For a fully baked crust, remove the pie weights just after it starts to brown, then bake for 3-5 more minutes. See my full tutorial for how to blind bake pie crust.
- Serving Size: 1 pie crust
- Calories: 2765
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 2359.1 mg
- Fat: 187.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 238.6 g
- Protein: 34.2 g
- Cholesterol: 488.1 mg