Chewy chocolate cookies, velvety chocolate buttercream, finely crushed Oreos and fruity gummy worms make these Dirt Cookie Cups a Halloween sensation! They’re super easy to make and fun to decorate.
For the Chocolate Cookie Cups
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (57g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
For the Chocolate Buttercream
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (201g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (29g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–4 tbsp (30-60ml) heavy whipping cream (or water)
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Toppings
- 8 Oreos
- 34 gummy worms
- Spray cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes, until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until well combined. Dough will be a little sticky.
- Make balls of about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough. Press cookie dough into the bottom and about 1/2 way up the sides of each cupcake cup, forming a cup shape.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. The centers should fall a bit while cooling, but if the centers aren’t cupped enough to add filling, use the underside of a measuring tablespoon to press the center down a bit.
- Remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- When the cookie cups are cool, make the buttercream. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of water or cream and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add more water or cream until desired consistency is reached, then add salt. Set aside.
- Add the Oreos to a food processor (leave the filling in the Oreo) and grind into crumbs. Set aside.
- Place one gummy worm into each cookie cup.
- Fill the centers of the cookie cups with chocolate buttercream, leaving the head of the worm inside sticking out. I prefer using a piping bag so that it’s quick, easy and looks clean.
- Sprinkle Oreo crumbs over the buttercream, covering it completely, then add another worm on top.
- Store cookie cups in an airtight container. They are best eaten within 2-3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 33.1 g
- Sodium: 176.7 mg
- Fat: 14.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.8 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 47.8 mg
Keywords: dirt cups, cookie cups, halloween dessert ideas, halloween food