Made with a simple custard, this coconut cream pie is a real prize winner. With whipped cream and coconut flakes, it’s coconut-y perfection.
For the Filling:
- Refrigerated pie crust
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (73g) sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp (28g) salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
For the Whipped Cream and Toppings:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup (58g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup (37g) sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick baking spray.
- Place the pie crust into the pie plate. Fold the edges of the crust under and mold them to your preference.
- Blind bake the crust according to the package directions.
- To make the filling, add the egg yolks to a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, milk and cream to a large saucepan and stir until smooth.
- Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-low heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add a little bit of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This process ensures that you don’t cook the egg yolks too quickly.
- Place the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut flakes, butter, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir until smooth, then pour the hot mixture into the pie crust. Cover with clear wrap that is pressed against the top of the filling and set in the fridge to cool completely.
- When the pie has cooled, make the topping. Add the whipping cream, powdered sugar and coconut extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie and top with the toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve. Pie should be well covered and should be best for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 23.1 g
- Sodium: 124.9 mg
- Fat: 22.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.5 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
- Cholesterol: 98.1 mg
Keywords: cream pie, Thanksgiving pies, easy coconut cream pie