Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches couldn’t possibly be more satisfying! Cold and creamy vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between two wonderfully chewy, chocolatey cookies.
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp (78g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (306g) mini chocolate chips, divided
- Half gallon vanilla ice cream
Make the Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough is well combined. It will be thick and shouldn’t be too sticky. Do not over mix.
- Once it’s well combined, add 1/2 cup (102g) mini chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to fold it all together.
- Create 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then press down and flatten out the cookies a bit. Use an additional 1/4 cup (51g) of mini chocolate chips to press some additional chocolate chips into the top of the cookie dough balls, then place on cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will look soft, but should look done. Remove just before the edges begin to turn golden. Don’t overbake. The cookies may look a little puffy when you take them out of the oven but will fall a bit as they cool. They should be relatively thin.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack lined with parchment paper to cool completely. If the cookies aren’t nicely round, use a spoon to push the edges in and make the cookies round.
- When the cookies have cooled, place them in the freezer to firm up for about 20-30 minutes.
Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Grab a cookie and add about 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of ice cream on top. Spread evenly. I used the back of a spoon to spread it around. I found it was easiest to work with the ice cream when it was still firm and right out of the freezer. The more it melts, the more it melts out from the between the cookies when you place them back in the freezer. Work quickly. Top the ice cream with a second cookie and place the cookie sandwich back into the freezer.
- Continue working with the cookies and ice cream until you’ve made all of the ice cream sandwiches.
- Allow them to freeze for 2-3 hours so that the ice cream is fully frozen, then dip the sides into the remaining 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. I spread the mini chocolate chips out onto a plate and rolled the ice cream through them.
- Put the finished cookie sandwiches back in the freezer until ready to serve.
You can store these in an airtight container with parchment paper separating them or wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They should be good for a week or so.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 673
- Sugar: 57.3 g
- Sodium: 205.2 mg
- Fat: 39.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.2 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 166.5 mg
Keywords: chipwich, ice cream sandwich, summer dessert