This Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake is so fun and filled with cherry and chocolate flavor. I’m totally in love with the naturally pink color, too!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (plus more for decorating the outside of the cake)
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- 5–6 tbsp cherry juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and line three 8 inch cake pans with parchment rounds and grease the sides.
2. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla extract and sour cream and beat until well combined.
4. Add the egg whites and egg in two batches, stirring until well combined after each addition.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
6. Add about half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
7. Add milk and cherry juice and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
8. Add remaining flour mixture and mix until smooth and well combined.
9. Fold in mini chocolate chips
10. Divide batter evenly between cake pans and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
11. Allow cakes to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove cakes to cooling rack to finish cooling.
12. To make icing, combine butter and shortening in a large and beat on medium speed until smooth.
13. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
14. Add 3 tbsp of cherry juice and mix until smooth.
15. Add another 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
16. Add another 2 tbsp of cherry juice and mix until smooth.
17. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
18. Add additional cherry juice if needed to get the right consistency of icing. Icing should be thick, but slightly sticky to the touch.
19. To assemble the cake, first remove the cake domes from each cake layer.
20. Place the first cake layer on a cake plate or cardboard cake round. Top with 1 1/2 cups icing, spread into an even layer.
21. Repeat step 20 with the next layer of cake.
22. Top with remaining layer of cake.
23. Ice the outside of the cake with remaining icing.
24. Before the icing has a chance to crust and firm, add additional mini chocolate chips around the bottom.
25. Pipe icing around the top edge of the cake and top with cherries.
Cake can be made a day or two ahead, but is best served shortly after making. Also best to not refrigerate cake. You’ll beed a 16 oz jar cherries without stems for the cake. You’ll use most of the juice and some of the cherries.
For help with how to add the mini chocolate chips to the sides of the cake, visit this tutorial – Sparkly Pom Pom Cake. The method is the same.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 1354
- Sugar: 204.3 g
- Sodium: 308.5 mg
- Fat: 50.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 226.3 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 97.3 mg
Keywords: cherry cake, cherry cake recipe, cherry chocolate cake, chocolate chip cake, chocolate chip cake recipe, pink cake for birthday, homemade cake recipe, homemade cake frosting, easy cake recipe, best cake recipe