Chewy sugar cookies are formed into a cup, then stuffed with soft cinnamon apple chunks and a sweet homemade brown sugar caramel sauce! These Caramel Apple Cookie Cups are mini homemade apple pies in cookie form.
For the Cookie Cups
- 3/4 cups butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
For the Caramel Apple Topping
- 1 recipe’s worth of this caramel sauce
- 2 apples, chopped
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
Make the Cookies
- Coat cupcake pan with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugars together for 5-7 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Dough will be thick.
- Makes balls of about 2 tbsp of dough. Press cookie dough in bottom and about 1/3-1/2 way up the sides of each cupcake cup, forming a cup shape.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling. If the centers aren’t cupped enough to add filling, use the end of a wooden spoon or the bottom of a tablespoon to press the center down a bit.
Make the Caramel
- Make caramel sauce according to instructions.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then pour into cookie cups, leaving enough space to add apples on top. I poured it into a measuring cup with a spout to make pouring easier.
Cook the Apples & Assemble
- Set cookie cups aside to allow caramel to cool while you make the cinnamon apples.
- Combine apples, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar in a medium pan and toss to coat.
- Add butter and cook apples for about 10-15 minutes, or until at preferred softness.
- Top cookie cups with apples.
- Makes 16-18 cookie cups
- These can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature for 2-3 days. They’re best served warm if you like gooey caramel. After they’ve cooled, they can be warmed up in microwave for 5-10 seconds.
- To freeze the cookies, place them into a freezer-safe container with parchment/wax paper between each layer to avoid sticking. Thaw in the fridge and serve within 1 month of freezing. I don’t recommend freezing the apples.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie Cup
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 21.5 g
- Sodium: 81.6 mg
- Fat: 16.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.7 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 52.6 mg
Keywords: apple cookies, caramel cookies, apple pie cookies