This Berry Almond Cream Pie is made with almond and berry mascarpone cream with a layer of berry filling in the middle. It’s light, full of flavor and perfect for summer!
Refrigerated pie crust
2 1/2 cups (380g) chopped mixed berries, washed, stems removed*
3 tbsp (45ml) water
1 1/4 cups (259g) sugar
5 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
12 oz mascarpone cheese*
1 1/4 tsp almond extract
ALMOND WHIPPED CREAM
3/4 cup (180ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
6 tbsp (44g) powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick baking spray.
2. Place the pie crust into the pie plate. Fold the edges of the crust under just a little bit, but not too much. This is a fairly deep pie so you want to sides high enough. Mold the edges to your preference.
3. Blind bake the crust according to the package directions, then set aside to cool completely.
4. To make the berry filling, add the berries and water to a food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine mess sieve. You should end up with roughly 1 1/2 cups of puree.
5. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in the berry puree.
6. Cook over medium heat, stirring consistently until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 8-10 minutes.
7. Allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Pour berry mixture into a bowl, refrigerate and allow to cool to room temperature.
8. When the berry filling is cool, make the rest of the filling. Add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to a large mixer bowl. Whip on high speed until it begins to thicken
9. Add the mascarpone cheese to the whipped cream and whip on high speed until well combined and stiff peaks form (it’ll happen quickly), then continue gently folding together with a spatula until well combined.
10. Add about 2 1/4 cups of the mascarpone cream to a separate bowl and add the almond extract. Gently fold together to combine.
11. Add the almond cream mixture to the bottom of the pie crust and spread into an even layer.
12. Add about 3/4 cup of the berry filling to the remainder of the cream filling and gently fold together until well combined.
13. Add the remainder of the berry filling to the top of the almond cream filling and spread into an even layer.
14. Add the berry cream filling and spread on top of the berry filling. Depending on the size and height of your pan, the filling will probably be kind of mounded on top.
15. Refrigerate the pie for 3-4 hours, until firm.
16. To finish off the pie, make the almond whipped cream. Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and almond extract to a large mixer bowl. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
17. Pipe the whipped cream around the outer edge of the pie and finish it off with additional berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Pie is best stored well covered and eaten within 3-4 days.
For the berries, I used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I used just one container of each.
The mascarpone cheese is best when allowed to sit out of the fridge for 15 minutes or so before using. You don’t want it to get too warm, or it’ll turn too soft and not thicken up properly, but you don’t want to use it straight out of the fridge or it might leave your cream a little lumpy. It should have a chance to sit out, but still have a little chill on it when you use it.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 606
- Sugar: 40.4 g
- Sodium: 128.4 mg
- Fat: 40.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.8 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 103.7 mg
Keywords: cream pie recipe, homemade cream pie, strawberry cream pie, strawberry cream pie recipe, berry pie, berry pie recipe, easy pie, easy pie recipe, homemade whipped cream, homemade whipped cream recipe