1. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Add apples, sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine.
2. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
6. Add cinnamon, flour, cornstarch and baking soda to a medium sized bowl and combine.
7. With the mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture.
8. Stir in old fashioned oats and cinnamon chips. Dough will be thick.
9. Stir in apples (don’t add the sauce from the apples).
10. Make dough into balls of about 2 tbsp. Flatten them out a bit and place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
11. Bake for 10-11 minutes. They should be slightly golden on the edges and look a little underdone in the center.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes before putting on a cooling rack. The center of the cookie will finish cooking as it cools.