A moist and fluffy almond cake is topped with a crumbly toffee streusel and a sweet almond glaze in this delightful breakfast or dessert recipe! Toffee Almond Coffee Cake is seriously to die for!
For the Streusel Topping
- 3/4 cup (98g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (168g) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 1/4 cup (56) butter, melted
For the Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup (112g) brown sugar
- 6 tbsp (84g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (58g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
For the Glaze
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Slivered almonds, if desired
- Toffee bits, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9-inch cake pan with a circle of parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
- To prepare the streusel, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, toffee bits and melted butter to a medium-sized bowl and mix with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, beat sugar and butter until light in color and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add sour cream and milk and mix until well incorporated.
- Add egg and almond extract and mix until smooth.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl
- Add dry ingredients to batter and mix until smooth.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Top batter with about half of the streusel mixture.
- Spread remaining cake batter over streusel.
- Sprinkle remaining streusel over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk and almond extract in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add additional milk or powdered sugar, as needed for the glaze to reach a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake and sprinkle a few almond slivers and toffee bits over it.
- Store cake in an airtight container at room temperature. Cake should be eaten with 3-4 days.
Makes 12-14 servings
Keywords: toffee cake, almond cake, how to make coffee cake