This Strawberry Pound Cake is the perfect combination of dense, tender, and moist. It’s loaded with fresh strawberry flavor and topped with a delicious strawberry icing! It’s a spectacular dessert for summertime!
STRAWBERRY POUND CAKE
- 1 lb strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (621g) sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp strawberry extract
- 1/4 cup (115g) milk, room temperature
- 3–5 drops pink gel icing color, optional
- 2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (69g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry reduction, from above
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp corn syrup or honey, optional
- 3/4 cup – 1 1/4 cups (86g-144g) powdered sugar
- 1 drop pink gel icing color, optional
- To make the strawberry reduction, add the strawberries to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. You should have about 2 cups of puree. Strain it to remove the seeds, if you like.
- Add the puree to a medium sized saucepan and cook over medium heat. Allow the mixture to come to a slow boil, stirring consistently to keep it from burning, until it has thickened and reduced to 1 cup, about 20-25 minutes. To measure, pour the puree into a measuring cup. If it’s more than 1 cup, add it back to the pan and continue cooking. When the puree has thickened and reduced, pour into a large measuring cup and allow to cool to at least room temperature. This strawberry mixture can be made ahead, if you like, and stored in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C) and prepare a 10-14 cup bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until well incorporated after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure things are well combined.
- With the mixer on low, carefully add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.
- Add the strawberry and vanilla extracts, milk, ¾ cup of the strawberry reduction and gel icing color (if using) and mix just until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Spread the batter evenly into bundt pan and bake for 75-85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist but mostly clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, then invert cake onto cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- To make the icing, combine all the icing ingredients except for the powdered sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Heat on low until sugar is melted, then turn heat to medium to bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and immediately pour into a heat-proof glass bowl.
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes, then add about 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar and whisk together until smooth. If your icing is too thin, add additional powdered sugar until it’s the right consistency to drizzle it. If you find the icing to be a little thick, just add a touch more water to thin it back out.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake while the icing is still a little warm. It will be too firm to pour and get a nice drizzle if it cools completely.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 56.7 g
- Sodium: 199.6 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 78.5 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 125.6 mg
Keywords: strawberry pound cake, pound cake with strawberries, homemade pound cake