This Spice Cake is made with moist layers of – you guessed it – spice cake and a delicious cream cheese frosting! It’s a classic cake that you can come back to over and over!
1. Prepare three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
3. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4. Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine the milk and water in a small measuring cup.
6. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake for about 21-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
9. Add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined.
10. Slowly add about half of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
11. Add the cinnamon and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
12. Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
13. Use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes.
14. Place the first layer of cake on your serving plate or a cardboard cake circle. Spread about 1 cup of frosting evenly onto the cake layer.
15. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of frosting.
16. Add the final layer of cake on top.
17. Frost the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting, then use the tip of a 9 inch offset spatula to create patterns on the sides and top of the cake.
18. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Best served at room temperature. Cake is best when well covered for 2-3 days.
If you’d like to make the crumble that I used for decorating the cake, you can find that recipe here.
Keywords: spice cake recipe, holiday dessert recipe, christmas cake recipe, thanksgiving cake recipe