This super easy Banana Cake is incredibly soft and moist! Paired with a simple vanilla buttercream frosting and topped with fresh banana slices, you’ll instantly fall in love with this feel-good dessert.
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2–3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup sour milk (you can make sour milk by adding 2 tsp vinegar to milk and let it sit about 10 minutes)
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–5 tbsp water
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and set them aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Add bananas, milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Make the Frosting & Assemble
- Beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
- Slowly add half the powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and 3 tbsp water.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency.
- Level both cakes so that they are flat on top and bottom.
- Cover the top of the bottom layer of cake with icing.
- Place the other cake on top of the icing.
- Using an offset spatula, fill in any gaps in the icing around the outside.
- Ice the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting and top with banana slices.
- Makes 12-14 slices.
- Recipe modified from Tidy Mom.
- To Store: Keep well covered in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days. Bring to room temperature before enjoying.
- To Freeze: Wrap unfrosted layers, entire cake or individual slices in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of heavy-duty foil. Defrost within 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 683
- Sugar: 72.5 g
- Sodium: 113.4 mg
- Fat: 35.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 90.7 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 79 mg
Keywords: cake banana, best cake, buttercream frosting for cake