This Snowy Mountain Baby Shower Cake is a moist chocolate cake covered in vanilla frosting with crushed coconut pressed into it to look like snow! It’s covered in sugar cone snow-capped mountains and some little snowboards! Such a cute cake for a baby shower or other snowy occasion!
- Black fondant
- White fondant
- Gel icing color (of your choice)
- Food writer pen
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup white sanding sugar, optional
- 8 sugar cones
- 3 oz white chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups (392g) unsalted butter
- 7 cups (805g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 tbsp (ml) water or milk
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
1. Make your fondant snowboards using the fondant and gel icing color. Use the photos and tutorial within the post for guidance. If you’re making a fondant cutout to write on, you could go ahead and cut that out as well.
2. To make the coconut “snow”, add the shredded coconut to a food processor and pulse until it’s in smaller pieces that resemble snow. Add the sanding sugar to it, if you’d like, for a little sparkle in the snow.
3. Set your sugar cones up on top of the cake pan you’ll be using to bake the cake so that you can be sure you have the number and sizes you want (again, refer to the tutorial in the above post for more guidance). Break the cones down to the sizes you want.
4. Melt the white chocolate and spread some onto each cone and then press some of the coconut “snow” into the white chocolate before it dries.
5. Set aside all the decorations to dry, then make the chocolate cake according to those directions.
6. To make the vanilla frosting for the cake, add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
7. Slowly add about half of the powdered sugar, mixing until well combined and smooth.
8. Add the vanilla extract and 1-2 tablespoons of water or milk and mix until well combined.
9. Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
10. Add salt to taste.
11. To put the cake together, use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat.
12. Place the first cake layer on a serving plate or a cardboard cake round.
13. Spread about 1 cup of frosting evenly on top of the cake.
14. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of frosting.
15. Top the cake with the remaining layer and frost the outside of the cake. Refer to my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake, if needed.
16. Press the remainder of the shredded coconut “snow” from the mountains onto the sides and top of the cake, then add the decorations. Serve cake shortly after adding the decorations.
Keywords: snowy mountain cake, snowy mountain baby shower cakes, baby shower ideas, winter cake