These Salted Butterscotch Cookies are crisp little butterscotch delights! Totally addicting and made even better by the touch of salt on top! You’ll be making these cookies over and over!
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 cup (225g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (225g) butterscotch chips
- Sea salt, for topping
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Melt, then cook, stirring often, until the butter browns, about 2 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of your pan. The butter will foam, and then little brown flecks will appear and the butter will turn a golden amber color. Don’t walk away from the stove, because it can burn quickly.
- Pour the browned butter into a large bowl. Add the brown sugar and stir or mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the egg, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt, then stir in the flour. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
- Scoop balls of cookie dough (each about 2 tablespoons) and place them on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line a second sheet with parchment paper. After they have chilled, place the cookie dough balls 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the cookie sheets. Bake each batch separately for 10-14 minutes or until the tops just lose their glossy sheen.
- Sprinkle the hot cookies with sea salt. Let cool for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 20.9 g
- Sodium: 156.4 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
Keywords: butterscotch cookies