Red Velvet Berry Trifle recipe made with layers of red velvet cake, fresh berries & homemade cream cheese whipped cream! An easy strawberry & blueberry dessert recipe!
RED VELVET CAKE
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp (9g) natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 4 tsp red food coloring
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
CREAM CHEESE WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (115g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (220g) blueberries
- 1 3/4 cups (260g) chopped strawberries
- 6–7 strawberries, for decorating, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a 9×13 cake pan by spraying the bottom and sides with non-stick spray.
2. Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt to a large mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
3. Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs, vinegar and red food coloring to a medium sized bowl and combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
5. Slowly add the hot water to the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
8. When the cake has cooled, make the whipped cream. Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and whip on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
9. Add the cream cheese and continue whipping on high speed until stiff peaks form.
10. To layer the trifle together, first add a full layer of red velvet cake chunks.
11. Top the red velvet cake with about half of the cream cheese whipped cream.
12. Top the whipped cream with a layer of about half of the blueberries and chopped strawberries.
13. Repeat another layer of cake and whipped cream, then finish off the trifle with the remaining berries.
14. Refrigerate trifle until ready to serve. I like to let it all set together for a few hours before serving. Trifle is best when well covered and used within 3-4 days.
You probably won’t use all of the red velvet cake for the full sized trifle, but can make a few smaller trifles with it if you’d like.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 574
- Sugar: 48.4 g
- Sodium: 472.7 mg
- Fat: 29.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 71 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 93.4 mg
Keywords: strawberry dessert recipe, red velvet dessert, chocolate trifle