These vanilla cupcakes are the perfect soft and fluffy vanilla cupcake! I have done a lot of testing and am proud to say that I finally have my favorite version to share with you!
- 1 2/3 cups (217g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1 cup (115g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbsp (30-45ml) water or heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed just until well combined and smooth. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners a little more than half way and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Carefully pour in about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1-2 tablespoons of the water or milk and the salt to the frosting and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add additional milk or water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 844.
- Cupcakes are best when stored well covered for 2-3 days.
See my newest Vanilla Cupcake Recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 42.9 g
- Sodium: 176 mg
- Fat: 25.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.2 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 46.6 mg
Keywords: vanilla cupcakes, moist vanilla cupcakes, fluffy vanilla cupcake recipe