This Orange Chocolate Cake is made with three layers of super moist chocolate cake and a fudgy chocolate buttercream that are all flavored with orange! The orange flavor pops just enough without being overwhelming and gives this chocolate cake a really fresh and yummy flavor!
Orange Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup (240ml) fresh orange juice
Orange Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups (560g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (114g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 5–8 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Salt, to taste
- Orange slices
- Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, orange extract and orange zest to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the orange juice and mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- When the cakes have cooled, make the buttercream frosting. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest and 5 tablespoons of orange juice and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add additional orange juice until it reaches the right flavor and consistency. Add salt to taste.
- To build the cake, use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat.
- Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread about 1 cup of frosting on top in an even layer.
- Add second layer of cake and add another cup of frosting on top in an even layer.
- Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake. Feel free to use my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake.
- Use the remainder of the frosting to pipe a border around the top edge of the cake, then decorate with orange slices.
- Store cake in an airtight container. It’s best if eaten within 4-5 days.
Keywords: orange chocolate cake, chocolate orange cake