This Gingerbread Layer Cake is made with three tender, moist cake layers bursting with gingerbread flavor and is filled and frosted with a smooth molasses cream cheese frosting! It’s full warm, cozy spices and is sure to become a new holiday favorite!
- 2 3/4 cups (358g) all-purpose flour (measured properly)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (168g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (58g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup (240ml) molasses
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk, room temperature
Molasses Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (172g) butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp molasses
- Gingerbread men, optional
- Sugared cranberries, optional
For the Cakes:
- Prepare three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter, sugars and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix until well combined. Mixture may look curdled, that’s ok.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the molasses and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cakes pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
Make Frosting and Assemble:
- To make the cream cheese frosting, add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and molasses and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- To build the cake, first use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the tops of the cakes so they are flat, if needed. Place the first cake layer on a serving plate or on a cardboard cake circle. Spread about 1 cup of frosting on top of the cake layer. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of frosting.
- Top the cake with the third layer and frost the top and outside of the cake with the remaining cream cheese frosting.
- Use the remaining frosting to pipe a border around the top edge of the cake. I used Ateco tip 847. Add gingerbread men cookies and sugared cranberries, if using.
- Store cake in an air-tight container in the fridge. Serve at room temperature. Best if eaten within 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 738
- Sugar: 102.1 g
- Sodium: 360.3 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 128.2 g
- Protein: 8.4 g
- Cholesterol: 85.5 mg
Keywords: gingerbread cake, gingerbread cake recipe, recipe for gingerbread cakce