These Moist Chocolate Cupcakes are only made more delicious by the ganache filling in the middle. They’re light and oh so chocolatey!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Add butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and cream together on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. You should be able to see a noticeable change in color and texture.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until combined.
5. Combine the cocoa powder, vanilla and water and stir until combined. Add the mixture to the cake batter and mix until well combined.
6. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the batter. Begin by adding half of the dry mix, then mix until combined. Add the milk and mix until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until well combined.
7. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool.
9. To make the ganache filling, add the chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl.
10. Heat the heavy whipping cream until it just begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips.
11. Allow the chocolate and cream and to sit for 3-5 minutes, then whisk together until smooth. Set aside to cool until at least room temperature. You could also refrigerate it until cold.
12. When you’re ready to build the cupcakes, make the frosting. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
13. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
14. Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined and smooth.
15. Add the vanilla extract and 2-3 tablespoons of water or cream and mix until smooth and well combined.
16. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
17. Add more water or cream until desired consistency is reached, then add salt.
18. To put the cupcakes together, use a cupcake corer or knife to remove the centers of the cupcakes.
19. Fill the centers of the cupcakes with the ganache filling (about a 1/2 tablespoon of ganache per cupcake), then pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes with the chocolate buttercream. I used Ateco tip 844. I also dusted the tops of the cupcakes with a little cocoa powder, if you’d like to do that.
20. Serve cupcakes at room temperature, but store in the fridge. Cupcakes are best eaten within 2-3 days.
Keywords: cupcakes from scratch, chocolate cupcake recipe, best chocolate cupcake recipe, moist chocolate cupcake recipe, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes filled, chocolate cupcakes frosting, homemade chocolate cupcakes, easy chocolate cupcake recipe