These Limoncello Cookies are soft, with chewy centers and crisp edges. Full of lemon flavor and delicious! The icing on top makes them perfect!
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup limoncello liqueur
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (28g) salted butter
- 1/3 cup (69g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) limoncello
- 2 tsp corn syrup (or honey)
- 1 cup (115g) powdered sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugars, egg, lemon zest and limoncello and beat on medium speed until creamy and free of lumps.
3. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
5. Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
6. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or golden brown around the edges with no uncooked centers.
7. Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. To make the icing, combine all the icing ingredients except for the powdered sugar in a small sauce pan.
9. Heat on low until sugar is melted, then turn heat to medium to bring to a boil.
10. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and immediately pour into a heat-proof glass bowl.
11. Whisk in the powdered sugar and allow to cool and thicken, roughly 10-15 minutes. If you find your icing to be a little thick, just add a touch more water to thin it back out. If it’s too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
12. Spread the icing onto the cookies and then allow to cool. The icing will thicken as it cools.
To use a simpler icing (the one found in the cookbook), use this recipe:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and beat on medium speed until free of lumps.
Recipe from the cookbook Cookie Remix, by Megan Porta
Keywords: lemon cookies recipe, lemon glazed cookies