With just the right amount of citrus flavor, these Easy Lemon Sugar Cookies are amazingly soft and chewy! Made with a fail-proof ingredient lineup including fresh lemon zest and juice, they’re guaranteed to stay moist and tender for days.
- 3 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (233g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (28g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3–4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (for thicker or thinner cookies versus more flavor)
- 1/4 cup sugar (additional for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the egg and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until well combined. You can start by adding 3 tablespoons and add more, as needed. Adding more will make your cookies spread a little more and be thinner and have a little more lemon flavor. Sticking with 3 tablespoons will give you thicker cookies.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is well combined. It will be thick and shouldn’t be sticky. Do not over mix. Once it’s well combined, use a rubber spatula to help it come together to form a more cohesive ball.
- Create 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then roll each ball in the additional sugar to coat. Set the balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will look soft but should look done. Remove just before the edges begin to turn golden. Don’t overbake. The cookies will be a little puffy when you take them out of the oven but will fall a bit as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 32-35 cookies
- To Store: Place cooled cookies into an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze: Freeze cooled cookies in a heavy-duty storage bag for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter before enjoying.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 72.5 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 19.3 mg
Keywords: lemon cookies, sugar cookies with lemon, lemony dessert