This Homemade Eggnog Recipe is insanely easy to make and so tasty! It is wonderfully thick and creamy with plenty of nutmeg flavor. No need to buy store-bought eggnog when this recipe is so perfect for making at home!
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (420ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves, optional
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Add egg yolks and sugar to a large mixer bowl and whip on medium speed until creamy, pale and smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a medium to large saucepan, heat milk, cream, nutmeg, cloves and salt over medium heat until it begins to simmer, stirring regularly.
3. When the milk mixture begins to simmer, add a small amount to the egg yolks, whisking quickly constantly to temper the eggs and keep them from scrambling. Add small amounts of additional milk/cream at a time, whisking to combine, until all has been incorporated.
4. Add the milk and egg mixture back to the saucepan and continue heating until it reaches 160-170 degrees.
5. Remove from heat, then add the vanilla extract and remove the cloves.
6. Pour into a container and refrigerate until cold. Eggnog is best is used within 2-3 days.
If you’d like to add alcohol to your eggnog, I’d recommend starting with about 1/4 cup and adding more to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 31.5 g
- Sodium: 657.6 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 365.3 mg
Keywords: homemade eggnog recipe, eggnog recipe, easy eggnog recipe, best alcohol for eggnog, eggnog drink, how to make eggnog