This classic gingersnap cookie recipe is perfect for the holidays. Filled with warm spices and molasses, these chewy cookies are so cozy and comforting!
- 2 1/4 cups (309g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (224g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (69g) sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the molasses and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is just well combined. Do not over mix.
- Create tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then roll each ball in the additional sugar to coat. Set the balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. Less time will give you a chewier cookie and more will give you a crispier cookie. At about 10 minutes, you get a cookie that is crisp, but they get chewy as they sit overnight, so you can bake them a little longer for truly crispy cookies.
- When done, let them cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To store: Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They should stay good for 4-5 days or so.
- To freeze: To freeze, place cooled cookies into a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw before enjoying.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 90.6 mg
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
- Protein: 0.9 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: gingersnap cookie recipe, gingersnap cookies, gingersnap cookies recipe