This Easy Lemon Strawberry Trifle is quick and easy to put together with layers of homemade lemon filling, fresh strawberries, mascarpone whipped cream and angel food cake!
1. In a medium sized measuring cup, combine the sweetened condensed milk with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Set aside.
2. In a large mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until well combined and smooth.
3. Add the sour cream and mix until well combined and smooth.
4. Add the lemon juice mixture and mix until well combined and smooth. Set mixture aside.
5. In another large mixer bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar for the filling. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture in two parts until well combined.
7. Add a little yellow gel icing color and gently fold to combine, if desired. Set aside.
8. To make the whipped cream, add the mascarpone cheese to a mixer bowl and beat just until to starts to smooth out. Don’t over beat it or it’ll thin out too much.
9. Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and whip on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to be sure the mascarpone cheese was all incorporated.
10. To layer the trifle, add a layer of angel food cake chunks, then add about half of the lemon filling.
11. Next, add about half of the strawberries in an even layer, then about half of the mascarpone cheese.
12. Add one more layer of angel food cake (you might not need the entire cake) and the other half of the lemon filling.
13. Top the trifle with the remainder of the sliced strawberries, then pipe the remainder of the whipped cream on top.
14. If using, add a few sliced strawberries to the top of the trifle and a few lemon slice halves.
1. I recommend set out the mascarpone cheese about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to use it. You want to take the chill off, but not get too warm. When mascarpone cheese gets too warm, it can get too soft and it doesn’t firm back up well.
2. I like to reserve a few strawberries to use on top of the trifle. If you want to decorate it similar to how I did, I’d suggest keeping about 4-5 strawberries aside to cut in half later. If your package of berries is full of large berries and that removes about half of your package, you might want another one to make sure you have enough.
Keywords: lemon strawberry trifle