This super moist and fluffy Homemade Funfetti Cake is full of rainbow sprinkles and topped with a tasty vanilla buttercream frosting. It’s an easy birthday cake recipe made completely from scratch!
For the Funfetti Cake
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sprinkles
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all-purpose flour + 1/2 tbsp (4g) flour, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4–6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Pinch or two of salt
- Prepare a 9×13 inch baking pan with baking spray and preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Toss the sprinkles with half a tablespoon of flour and set aside.
- Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a large mixer bowl and set aside. Set aside the egg yolks for later use.
- Add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and cream together until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time. You should be able to see a visible change in the color and texture of the mixture when it’s ready.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing until combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Add the milk and mix until well combined. The batter might look a little curdled, but that’s ok.
- Add another third of the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not overmix the batter. Set aside.
- Grab the egg whites and whip on high speed with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold about half of the whipped egg whites into the cake batter until mostly combined.
- Add the remaining egg whites and the sprinkles and gently fold together until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool.
- When the cake has cooled, make the frosting. Add the butter to a mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1-2 tablespoons of water or cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add additional water or cream as needed to get the right consistency for the frosting. Add salt to taste.
- Spread the buttercream evenly over the cake. Add sprinkles, if desired.
Makes 12-15 servings.
Keywords: funfetti cake recipe, homemade funfetti cake, homemade birthday cake, birthday cake recipe, sprinkle cake, confetti cake, vanilla buttercream frosting, whipped buttercream frosting