These Easter Egg Chocolate Cupcakes are moist chocolate cupcakes topped with chocolate frosting “nests” and pastel colored Easter eggs!
- 3/4 cup (98g) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (43g) natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (150ml) milk
Chocolate and Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 3/4 cups (431g) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp water or milk
- 1/4 cup (29g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- Green gel icing color
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (or other Easter egg candy)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. To make the cupcakes, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
6. Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined.
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about three quarters full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
9. To make the frosting, beat the butter and shortening until well combined.
10. Add about half of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
11. Add the salt, vanilla extract and about 2 1/2 tablespoons of water or milk and mix until well combined and smooth.
12. Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
13. Remove about a 1/2 cup of frosting and set aside.
14. Add the cocoa powder to the remainder of the frosting and beat until well combined and smooth.
15. Add additional water or milk, as needed, to get a good consistency frosting.
16. Add the green gel icing color to the vanilla frosting that was set aside.
17. To decorate the cupcakes with the grass and nest, use Wilton tip 233 to add two rows of grass around the outer edge of the cupcake. Fill in the center of the cupcake with the chocolate nest. To make the chocolate nest, use a large closed star tip. I used Ateco tip 844, but Wilton tip 1M or 2D would work as well. Pipe a small swirl/circle of chocolate buttercream and do two rotations, making one right on top of the other and leaving the center open. Add candy eggs to the center of the nest.
18. To decorate the cupcakes with just the nest, use a large closed star tip, such as the ones mentioned in the step above. Pipe a small dallop of frosting right in the center of the cupcake. This is fill in the center of the swirl you will pipe in a minute and keep it from sinking. Start at the outer edge of the cupcake and pipe a swirl/circle around the outer edge. You’ll want to do two rotations/swirls right on top of each other, leaving the center open. Add the candy eggs to the center of the swirl.
Keywords: Easter egg cupcakes, Easter nest cupcakes, Easter cupcakes, Easter dessert idea, chocolate cupcakes recipe