This Cream Cheese Frosting is perfect for topping cupcakes and frosting cakes! It pipes beautifully and holds it’s shape, it’s perfectly sweet and tangy and it’s easy to make with just 5 ingredients. I’ve used it for years and it’s a hit every time.
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tbsp (86g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
1. Add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
2. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix until well combined.
4. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth. Add more or less powdered sugar, as desired for consistency purposes.
Amount: This recipe will make just over 2 1/2 cups. It should be enough for 12-14 cupcakes with a swirl on top. If using less frosting per cupcake, it’ll frost more cupcakes.
Cakes: I find that a little thicker consistency frosting is nicer on a cake so that things stay in place on the sides of the cake. For a cake, I typically double the frosting and add two additional cups of powdered sugar. You don’t have to do this, but it’s what I recommend if you use a thick layer of frosting on the outside of your cakes.
Chocolate version: To make a chocolate cream cheese frosting, add 1/2 cup (57g) of natural unsweetened cocoa.
How to store: Store unused cream cheese frosting in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze in an airtight container for one month.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 3284
- Sugar: 478.6 g
- Sodium: 1022.2 mg
- Fat: 147.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 492 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 412.2 mg
Keywords: cream cheese frosting recipe, best cream cheese frosting, easy frosting recipe