These Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes are made with a moist coconut cupcake filled with coconut cream filling and topped with coconut frosting!
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (84g) unsalted Challenge Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (150ml) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp (78g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 tbsp salted Challenge Butter
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup (36g) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted Challenge Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (95g) shortening
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2–3 tbsp water or milk
- Toasted coconut
- Refrigerated pie crust, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter, sugar, oil and coconut extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
6. Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined. The batter will look curdled, but that’s ok.
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
9. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
10. While the cupcakes cool, make the pastry cream. Put the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
11. Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
12. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
13. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
14. Add a little bit of milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This process ensures that you don’t cook the egg yolks.
15. Place the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
16. Remove from heat and add butter, coconut extract and flaked coconut. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
17. To make the frosting, combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
18. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
19. Add the coconut extract and 1 tablespoon of water or milk and mix until smooth.
20. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
21. Add remaining water or milk as needed and mix until smooth. Set aside.
22. Using a cupcake corer or small knife, remove the centers from the cupcakes.
23. Fill the centers of the cupcakes with the filling.
24. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
25. If you’d like to add the pie crust toppers, bring the refrigerated pie crust to room temperature.
26. Roll out the pie crust and use a mini cutter (shape of your choice) to cut out the toppers.
27. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake according to package instructions (roughly 450°F for about 5-7 minutes).
28. Top cupcakes with toppers and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cupcakes are best when stored in an airtight container. Best for 2-3 days.
Keywords: coconut cupcakes recipe, easy coconut dessert recipe, coconut frosting recipe, coconut frosting recipe, coconut cupcakes