Made with creamy cheddar cheese, crispy fried onions, cozy cream of mushroom soup and more, this classic Green Bean Casserole hits all the right notes. It’s a quick and easy side dish that nobody can get enough of!
- 4 cups green beans*
- 10.5 oz can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash of hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- If using fresh green beans, trim the ends and put in a microwave safe bowl with about two tablespoons of water. Cover loosely with clear wrap and microwave for 5-7 minutes, or until they begin to get tender. Keep in mind that they’ll continue to cook in the oven. When done, cover the green beans in cold water to keep them from cooking more.
- If using frozen green beans, microwave until thawed, then drain them.
- If using canned green beans, drain them.
- In a large bowl, combine the green beans, soup, milk, pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cheddar cheese and 1 cup of crispy fried onions.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top the casserole with the remaining crispy fried onions and bake for another 5 minutes, then serve.
- Can use fresh, canned or frozen green beans. If using canned, you’ll need two 14.5 oz cans. If using frozen, a 16-oz bag of green beans is about 5 cups.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- To Store & Reheat: Transfer cooled casserole to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Note that onions will lose their crispiness – add new ones just before reheating if desired. Reheat casserole in an oven-safe dish at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- To Freeze: Fried onions will soften just like they would in the fridge. If you don’t mind this, freeze casserole in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 439.4 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 15.1 mg
Keywords: fresh green bean casserole, green bean bake, veggie casserole