Satisfy your sweet tooth using basic kitchen ingredients with this Classic Bread Pudding Recipe! This sweet and creamy dessert takes stale bread and turns it into a decadent, comforting treat.
For the Bread Pudding
- 6 cups cubed stale bread (french, challah, brioche, regular sliced)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
For the Vanilla Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Grease an 8×8-inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Cut bread into 1-inch chunks and spread evenly in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread, getting all the bread wet from the mixture.
- Let the bread sit for 20-25 minutes to soak up the milk and egg mixture.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Bake for 50-55 minutes. It should be jiggly, but set. The center should rise fully, so if it hasn’t yet, it might need a little more bake time. Remove from oven when done.
- While the bread pudding cooks, make the vanilla sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on low heat, then add the sugar, cream and vanilla extract.
- Slowly cook over low heat while stirring until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and serve warm over the bread pudding.
To make this in a 9×13 pan, use one and a half recipes worth.
Keywords: easy bread pudding, bread pudding sauce, how to make bread pudding, vanilla sauce, old fashioned bread pudding, easy dessert idea, classic dessert