BAKE THE CUPCAKES:
1. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
2. Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Add vanilla and espresso to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
4. Pour into cupcakes pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
5. When done, remove cupcakes from oven and cupcake tin and allow to cool.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
1. Melt butter in a saucepan.
2. Add brown sugar and heavy cream and whisk constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
3. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes, no more.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
5. Transfer caramel to mixer bowl.
6. Mix in powdered sugar, beginning with 2 cups and increasing from there until you get the desired consistency. You can add a few tablespoons of cream to make the icing more creamy, if desired.
MAKE COFFEE GLAZE:
1. Dissolve the espresso powder in the warm water.
2. Add about 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar to the espresso and whisk until smooth. Reserve remaining powdered sugar for later.
1. Core the center of the cupcake. (I used the smaller corer from this set that I found at Home Goods, but you can just use a knife if that’s what you have)
2. Spread about a teaspoon of coffee glaze over the top of the cupcake and inside the hole you made.
3. Spoon a large teaspoon of Nutella into the hole in the cupcake.
4. Icing cupcakes with caramel frosting.
5. Add remaining cup of powdered sugar to coffee glaze to thicken it. Whisk until smooth.
6. Drizzle coffee glaze over the caramel icing, then top with sprinkles.