Made with a sweet blueberry filling and a flaky butter pie crust, this delicious Blueberry Pie is one dessert you have to try. It’s easy to prepare with fresh or frozen berries and a homemade or store-bought crust!
- Homemade Pie Crust or store-bought pie crust (you’ll need two crusts)
- 6 cups (780g | 2 1/4 lbs) fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed and stems removed
- 2/3 cup (138g) sugar
- 5 tbsp (40g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk or cream
- t tbsp turbinado sugar, for garnish
- Place one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie dish and don’t flute or crimp the edges for now. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Gently stir them so that all of the blueberries are coated with some of the sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Pour mixture into the bottom pie crust. Dot the pieces of butter on top of the filling.
- Grab the other pie crust and arrange into a lattice on top of the pie. You’ll want to use a pastry wheel to cut the crust into strips and then thread them together, over and under, to create the design. Trim the lattice as needed once it’s on the pie and then use the bottom crust edge pieces to seal the crust edges. Flute or crimp as desired.
- Combine the egg and cream for the egg wash. Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes at 400°F, then reduce to 350°F for 25-35 minutes. You want the filling to be hot and bubbly. Cover to prevent over browning, if needed.
- Remove pie from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature for at least 3 hours for the filling to thicken. If served hot out of the oven, the filling will be too thin. Refrigerate when it’s completely cooled.
- Makes 8-10 servings.
- To Make Ahead: Instead of baking the assembled pie, wrap it tightly in two layers of plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 1 month. Thaw it out at room temperature for 1 hour before you bake it, increasing the cook time by about 10 minutes.
- To Store Extras: Cover the pie well and refrigerate it, enjoying all leftovers within 4-5 days. You can heat individual slices in the microwave for 15-20 seconds if desired. Do not freeze the finished pie.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 23.7 g
- Sodium: 161.2 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.3 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 21.7 mg
Keywords: berry pie, blueberry filling for pie, blueberry desserts, summer desserts