Studded with fresh blueberries and topped with velvety coconut frosting, these light and tender Blueberry Coconut Cupcakes are sure to be a hit! They’re also easy to make from scratch with staple ingredients!
For the Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups (217g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (208g) fresh blueberries
For the Buttercream
- 1 ¼ cups (280g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 3–4 tbsp heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, sugar and coconut extract together until well combined.
- Add the egg whites and mix until well combined.
- Add the sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the milk and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined, but do not over mix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill the cupcake liners a little more than half full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Carefully add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add the coconut extract, 2 tablespoons of the cream and the salt to the frosting and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth. Add additional cream, as needed, to get the right consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 847.
- Cupcakes are best when stored well covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Makes 14-16 cupcakes.
- To Store: Cupcakes are best when stored well covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To Freeze: If cupcakes are frosted, flash-freeze them on a baking sheet until buttercream is frozen solid (about 2 hours). Once frosting is firm, wrap each cupcake tightly in plastic wrap and freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Unwrap and thaw in the fridge before enjoying. Without buttercream, cooled cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter or in the fridge before frosting.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 44.5 g
- Sodium: 187 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.9 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 31.6 mg
Keywords: coconut dessert, homemade cupcakes, cupcakes with blueberries