Fresh bananas are simmered in an indulgent cinnamon cream sauce, then covered with rum, ignited with gentle flames and served over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This easy recipe will help you make flawless Bananas Foster every time!
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 cup (168g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 bananas, halved lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Add the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cream to a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow the butter to melt and continue to whisk while cooking until the sugar has melted and the sauce is smooth (about 3 to 5 minutes). You don’t want to cook on too high heat or it will heat too quickly before the sugar fully melts.
- Add the bananas and allow to cook 2-3 minutes, to lightly soften the bananas.
- Remove the pan from heat and pour the rum over the bananas and sauce. Using a long lighter, ignite the rum. Gently shake or swirl the sauce around until the flames burn out, about 30 seconds. The flames will burn blue and can sometimes be very subtle.
- Spoon warm bananas and sauce over ice cream and serve immediately.
- Can replace rum with heavy cream, or 1 tbsp rum = 1 tsp rum extract plus 2 tsp water or juice (orange/pineapple/apple)
- To Store & Reheat: Even though bananas foster is best served fresh, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. Keep it in an airtight container and pop individual servings into the microwave for 25-30 seconds at a time before digging in.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 531
- Sugar: 57.9 g
- Sodium: 171.1 mg
- Fat: 26.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 68.5 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 97.1 mg
Keywords: bananas cooked, dessert with bananas, easy dessert few ingredients