If you like the sound of a soft and moist banana cake layered with rich chocolate cream cheese frosting, then you’ll love this Banana Chocolate Chip Cake! It’s such an easy dessert that never fails to hit the spot.
For the Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (225g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (104g) granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 3/4 cups mashed overripe banana (4–5 bananas)
- 1 1/4 cups (211g) semi sweet chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (172g) butter, room temperature
- 9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (58g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper in the bottom and baking spray on the sides.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter, sugars, oil and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Now it’s time to add the eggs. Add the eggs and egg white one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Add the mashed banana and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add about half of the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and beat until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Build the cake by layering the cake and the frosting, alternating until all the cake layers have been used, and covering the assembled cake with the remaining frosting. Slice, serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 824
- Sugar: 98.7 g
- Sodium: 226.8 mg
- Fat: 37.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 121.5 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
- Cholesterol: 101.6 mg
Keywords: banana chocolate chip cake, banana chocolate cake, banana cake recipe, banana cake ingredients, chocolate chip cake, homemade chocolate frosting, chocolate cream cheese frosting, three layer cake