These easy homemade Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins are moist and tender with a buttery cinnamon streusel topping! They are full of apples and the perfect fall breakfast!
For the Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (43g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, cold, cubed
For the Apple Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp (153g) unsweetened applesauce*
- 1/2 cup (112g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (220g) peeled & chopped apples (about 2 medium apples)
Make the Streusel
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan with liners.
- Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon to a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
Make the Muffins
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the melted butter, applesauce and sugars to a large mixing bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and gently stir until just well combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full and divide the crumb topping between the muffins. Pile the crumb topping high. You should get 12 muffins.
- Bake the muffins for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy them while they’re still a little warm or let them cool completely.
If you don’t want to use the applesauce, substitute it for 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 6 tbsp (86g) sour cream.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 23.8 g
- Sodium: 121.9 mg
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.6 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 35.8 mg
Keywords: cinnamon apple muffins, cinnamon apple streusel muffins